Virtual HR Services
Remote work is here to stay, at least partially, and that means virtual meetings and HR systems are necessary for startups and small businesses to get right. For small teams, this transition can be a tall order. Fortunately, services that provide outsourced HR for startups can help fill the gaps. In this blog, we show you how (virtual HR support examples included).
What Is the Purpose of HR Services?
HR services enable your teams to perform essential functions that are required for your business to run. When you don’t have an internal HR department that can cover all necessary human resources roles, outsourced HR services help fill the gaps. As a startup or small business, you should have the following functions fulfilled:
- Recruiting, hiring, and onboarding top talent
- Managing compensation and benefits packages
- Optimizing employee performance through ongoing training
- Incentivizing high performance through professional development and advancement opportunities
- Improving company culture and employee relations with leadership and one another
- Tracking performance and identifying and implementing improvement tracks
- Communicating and enforcing employee conduct policies and safety procedures
- Maintaining compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations
Leaving any of these boxes unchecked can cause serious consequences for your startup. For example, neglecting ongoing training and professional development initiatives creates stagnant ideas while your competition whizzes by. Employees also take notice when their place of work isn’t investing in them. In fact, Business News Daily cites professional development as one of the top ways to reduce employee turnover.
Ready to get proactive about your HR systems? Give us a call to see how our team can help you.
What Are Virtual HR Services?
Virtual HR services leverage technology to make it easier for employees to engage with critical HR systems. For example, a virtual HR setup could include a self-help portal in which employees can log in to access important information, like their health coverage plan. These portals add convenience for employees, and they free up time for your HR professionals, who can then focus on more complex issues.
Other virtual HR examples include:
- Online self-guided learning platforms
- Automated workflow software
- Cloud-based file storage and sharing
Embracing technological evolutions can make your business more efficient and competitive. But change isn’t always easy. Reach out to see what HR technologies your business could benefit from and what it takes to implement them.
What Does Virtual HR Do?
Virtual HR teams can accomplish all of the same essential functions as on-site HR teams; the only difference is where those teams are located. That means you can optimize the following with virtual HR professionals:
- Recruitment and Hiring
- Training and Development
- Total Compensation Packages
- Employee Relations
- Performance Management
- Safety Procedures
- Legal Compliance
Given the difference in working locations between virtual and on-site HR teams, communication also differs. While on-site HR members can host in-person office hours, virtual members rely on email, phone, and video call communications. This may seem like a significant change; however, many professionals already use digital communication as their first contact point, no matter where they’re working.
Virtual HR teams have some key benefits, such as:
- Wider talent pool to hire from
- Less office space is required
- Higher rates of employee satisfaction
- Increased motivation for higher productivity
Having virtual-compatible HR systems also allows you to take advantage of outsourced HR services. These services can supplement some or all of your HR needs at a fraction of the cost of expanding your full-time team. Reach out to learn more.
Can You Do HR Remotely?
Like many other job functions, you can absolutely do HR remotely. This applies to both hiring remote HR professionals and enabling employees to complete HR tasks virtually. Remote HR teams work best with virtual organizations, where these roles won’t add any complexity to the organization. However, virtual HR support can also be advantageous in hybrid settings.
To get the most out of remote HR systems, make sure your business is set up for the following:
- Clear and consistent communication using digital tools
- Established expectations for virtual communication etiquette
- Set boundaries between synchronous and asynchronous work schedules and projects
Another way to set up your remote HR systems for success is to work with a fractional HR services provider like Milestone. Our HR experts are equipped to audit your systems for inefficiencies and then plan and implement solutions. The best part? You get best-in-industry partnerships without breaking the bank. You can work with outsourced HR providers to complete a single project, see a strategic initiative through, fill a role, or supplement your entire HR department.
What Is the Role of HR in a Virtual Organization?
The role of HR in a virtual organization is similar to that of a traditional organization, except with the added responsibilities of navigating the digital work landscape. In this section, we’ll take a closer look at what is the role of HR in a startup company and how they may change in a virtual setting:
- Recruitment and Hiring for Startups: Virtual organizations need to be prepared to connect with potential candidates virtually, such as through online networking events, and conduct remote interviews.
- Onboarding: Design the onboarding process to work seamlessly through email or an online portal. Easy-to-fill PDFs, instructional videos, and video call check-ins can help make this process smoother.
- Training and Development: Virtual teams can benefit from both group webinars and self-guided professional development. Using an internal learning portal or leveraging an external tool like LinkedIn Learning enables your employees to grow their skills at the pace that works best for them.
- Total Compensation Packages: Remote or hybrid work is desirable for a whopping 98% of job seekers, according to Forbes. If you’re a remote organization, take advantage of the fact that people often prefer your work model. Advertise your job positions as remote, and consider whether or not you can afford to help employees upgrade their home office technology.
- Employee Relations: A common concern with remote work environments is how they affect company culture. Your HR team should work on finding ways for employees to connect with each other and your organization’s values, even if they aren’t in the same physical location.
- Performance Management: With remote work, you can’t exactly look over your employees’ shoulders to see whether they’re being productive or not. Your virtual HR team can set performance metrics that are easy to track remotely. For project-based work, this can be a program that tracks milestones. For time-based work (like a call center), HR can analyze average call time and time between calls to get an idea of how employees are performing.
- Safety Procedures: Safety information should be easily accessible no matter where employees are. For field members, mobile access to safety reminders is especially valuable.
- Legal Compliance: Technology evolves rapidly, and so do the laws that regulate how businesses can use technology. Your HR team is responsible for ensuring your startup follows laws and regulations, such as those concerning data privacy.
Don’t overlook the nuances of managing HR virtually. Work with an outsourced HR services provider to make sure your systems are equipped to succeed in the digital age.
What Is a Virtual HR Firm?
Virtual HR firms provide outsourced HR services through digital methods. Virtual HR companies don’t just provide your startup with experts in the field who can work in a remote setting; these companies also provide experts who know how to make your virtual systems more effective.
Partnering with a virtual HR services provider could be your silver bullet for transforming your remote work environment for the better. Contact us to see how you can see improvements in communication, professional development, and so much more.
What Is a Virtual HR Experience?
Virtual HR experiences are how your employees interact with HR tasks through technology. This can range from interviews conducted over video calls to updating progress in performance tracking software. Part of the role of HR in a company with a remote work model is to ensure that employees have effective and efficient interactions with HR systems through technology.
Your HR department should implement programs that are easy to use and condense features when possible. After all, you don’t want your employees getting frustrated dealing with numerous accounts to handle back-office tasks.
Can an HR Director Work Remotely?
An HR director and the rest of an HR team can work remotely provided your company is set up to support this work model. The most important aspect of getting remote work right is communication. Employees should know which channels to use, what times they’re expected to be available, and what the etiquette for communication is.
If you’re in the market for remote HR professionals, consider working with our team. The experts at Milestone have experience in both working in remote settings and equipping startups to be more effective in remote settings.
Leverage Virtual HR Resources and Services with Milestone
Don’t let your virtual human resources needs go unchecked. If your virtual HR systems aren’t up to snuff, it’s time to upgrade. Signs of a need for change include frustrated employees, gaps in data, and essential HR functions being left uncovered. If any of this sounds familiar, give us a call. Our experts are experienced in overcoming the challenges you’re facing and creating virtual HR solutions. And with Milestone, you’ll also benefit from a tailored strategy, transparent pricing, and no long-term contracts.
At a fundamental level, HR management includes any tasks that help optimize your most valuable resource—your people!
The best HR software for startups enables your team to complete essential HR tasks more efficiently than before.
It’s not easy being a full-time small business owner, where you juggle multiple hats and navigate the intricacies of ...
Stay in the know